November 19, 2013

Voting for the municipal election

Today is one of those few days when reality hits me and I am reminded that I am, in fact, 18 years old no matter how hard I try to hide it. 

Today I get to feel like a grown-up.
Today I get to be responsible for people around me!
TODAY I GET TO VOTE FOR THE VERY
                    FIRST TIME! ...for the municipal election

The past few weeks we've been bombed with campaigns. People would hand out roses and candy downtown. Election posters have been (f)lying around since the big storm. Political debates have been all over the news and we've spent at least 15-20 min. talking about the election in every Politics class.
.... Yet people don't care.

I mean some do... but not THAT many and it has left the politicians in a state that looks pretty similar to desperate.
Quite desperate if you ask me. It has come so far that the Parliament put up this video on YouTube, explaining to young people how to vote since we are *ahem* the future of the country! (I know it's in Danish but.. just by listening to the voices you should be able to see and hear how ridiculous this has gotten)

Valg 2013
Even Google is trying to seduce us!
C'mon!

People are discussing whether it makes sense or not and that's, I think, is also the main reason many don't want to vote. We just don't believe in it. Why does it matter whom the head of our country is, if all the big and important decisions are being made by some ignorant old people, sitting on their butts somewhere in the capital? (Well they're not all old).
Anyhow.. my vote may not count much now, but I'm still not going to be one of those people who stay at home and complain. I will use my right as a citizen of Denmark and share my beliefs complain about the system!
(And then complaining about them afterwards will seem much more reasonable)

Another reason many people might not want to vote could be that it's so confusing! Some places, people can run for the election with just 25 signatures, and then they create parties like The Sunshine Party - Promising sunshine every day, all day! Or the woman from the Natures Parti who, in her election video, is standing in full body paint and wearing that weird cat. What the heck...

Even though many seem to not care, they WILL care if you ask them who they're going to vote for. Even married people tend to not want to tell each other. Why is that? Are we afraid others will judge us because of our twisted beliefs? Perhaps it's just how our culture is.. 
Is it the same in your country? Would you vote at a municipal election or would you wait for the "real deal"?


So who am I going to vote for?
                                             ................ I have no idea

No comments:

Post a Comment