June 28, 2016

A more recent update

As for more recent events I've got my share to write about as well.
I'm currently on holiday with my family in Italy and now that I, for once, have more time on my hands than ever in a looooong time, I thought I'd pull myself together and write a summarizing blog post on what I've been doing and thinking about lately.
As of now I have already been out of school for about a month and will continue to be out about 2 more months. Some of our exams we had during the semester but our last written and oral exams were on May 13th and 20th respectively. In contrast to my classmates who worried more about the written exam where we had to translate a known text, an unknown text, and write an essay without any kind of dictionary, I feared the oral exam the most. For our oral exam we were in teams of 2 (Celine 씨 and I were together). First Celine 씨 went in alone to do a presentation of herself in Korean, thdn she would answer some questions from our teacher, and then I was called in as well. Together we had to have a conversation on 1 of 5 topics in Korean. Then Celine 씨 was asked to leave so I could do my presentation and answer questions. I was ordered outside and some minutes later we were each called in to hear if we passed or not. I think everyone in our class passed - except our classmate Agnes 씨. I'm not sure what happened to her.
Our exams worked in the way that we had 3 written exams in Korean, one oral in Korean, one essay in history, and had to show up to 75% of our classes in both history and conversation/grammar classes. In order to pass the semester we had to take our oral exam and to be able to sit for this exam we had to pass the 3rd written and then at least one of the 1st or 2nd written exams. Agnes 씨 had had some situations at home that sometimes kept her from coming to school or studying and so the night before our 3rd written exam, she stayed up late to catch up. When her alarm went off the next morning she didn't hear it and ended up oversleeping - thus failing that exam as she didn't show up in time. I believe she took a re-exam but I haven't heard from her since. She didn't attend our "party" that same night in Sophie-Amalie 씨 and Tulsheenam 씨's apartment, celebrating the end of the semester and that Martin 씨, Iohan 씨, and Maria 씨 had all been accepted into the Korean universities they applied for exchange to.
It was a fun party where everyone brought food - also Korean themed. Iohan 씨 brought fried chicken and a Korean spicy sauce that Martin 씨 named the sauce of death because of its red colour. The sauce was delicious nonetheless and some of the girls ended up eating it with a lot of the other food including chips and macaroni and cheese!
Now that the semester was over, I planned to return to my hometown as soon as possible to be with my family, cats, and bunny. Before I could do this I had to finish my work with Nikoline and Mike who, luckily for me, had time for extra "classes" so that I only had to stay a week.
Mike was the first of my students that I had my last class with and by that time the weather was so nice that we spent 2,5 hour outside playing badminton, throwing a football, and fighting with the water hose. When I left he gave me a box with some fancy chocolate that he and his parents had picked out for me. I felt that there wasn't more to teach him for now and some days after I got feedback from his parents saying that Mike was now all caught up and even able to help some of his classmates. I was so proud!
My last day with Nikoline we spent at the library finishing off the rest. Afterwards, after class, we went to buy ice cream and sat down to talk. Nikoline had earlier told me that she was considering becomming an exchange student so that day we talked a lot about that. If she didn't end up going, she said that she would probably like some more tutoring and that they would like to have me as her mentor again in that case, which made me really happy.
Once I returned to my hometown I allowed myself to relax and spend some days doing nothing. That only lasted about 2 weeks because during that time, I'd been talking to Philip, who only fueled my urge to go abroad. I was looking for affordable flight tickets for days until one day I found a price, that I probably wouldn't be able to beat considering I would be flying out exactly a week later. I also found one of the cheapest hostels available and then, for the very first time, I flew out to stay in a foreign country completely alone. I'll be writing posts on this later on so I won't talk more about that for now.
On the 22nd on June I returned to Denmark. I spent some hours in my apartment with Chris and returned to my hometown in the evening. The next morning my grandparents and I went to Aarhus for a braces check and once we returned, I got in the car and drove to Italy with my family and siblings' two friends.
As of writing this post I'm lying on the couch in our caravan at Piani di Clodia, the camping site that my family always went to when my siblings and I were younger. I believe this is the 9th or 10th time we are here, the last time being back in 2011. The camping site is nice as always and they have upgraded a couple of things here and there.
It's nice being back and I truly feel like I know the place but at the same time I find myself restless. I'm no longer as interested in swimming, eating ice cream, and getting a tan as I used to be. I think I have just grown out of this vacation style. Instead of relaxing, I want to spend my time exploring. Hopefully I will come up with something to do soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment